What can I do at Ocean Isle Beach?
||Other than the obvious "go to the beach and ocean", here are some
other ideas, grouped by headings. Print this to take with you.
||Swim at the pool - there are two pools you can use in the Island Park
neighborhood. Make sure to ask about them when you pick up the key for
- Fishing - We have fished off one of the neighborhood docks on the sound
side of the island. We have caught lots of blue crabs . . . but no
fish yet. You can also go to the Ocean Isle Beach pier to fish.
||Feed the ducks/turtles - our house is on a fresh water lagoon.
The lagoon has turtles (who sun themselves on the banks), Mallard ducks,
carp, and bass!
- Charter Fishing - Several places include Ocean
Isle Fishing Center (910-575-FISH), Follow Me Deep Sea Fishing
(910-579-5744), Hurricane Fleet (910-249-3571), Offshore Carolina Charters
- The Museum of Coastal Carolina (MOCC
- 910-579-1016) at Ocean Isle Beach is a natural
history museum whose mission is to stimulate the public's interest in and
understanding of the natural science, environment and cultural history of
the coastal region of the
- Visit Ingram
Planetarium. (910-575-0033 - Sunset Beach - 10 minutes away)
- Visit Silver
Coast Winery (910-287-2800 - across US 17, just off NC904).
- Make a ceramic at Pottery Playhouse (910-579-PLAY)
- Right across from the IGA in OIB.
- Golf - here is a map of local golf courses.
I hear they are ALL great.
- Water slide - My family likes
the one in Myrtle Beach on US 17.
- Mini golf - there are several nearby.
- Myrtle Beach - There are music theaters, amusement parks, Ripley Aquarium, etc.
||Go to Wilmington. There is shopping, boat tours,
a children's museum, and our favorite - the Battleship
USS North Carolina, a WWII vintage ship (910-251-5797).
- "Everyday items" - Wal-mart is in Shallotte. Take NC 179
east from Ocean Isle Beach, turn right onto US 17 business. Wal-mart
is on the left, Home Depot is on the right. Food Lion is closer, on NC
904. Even closer is Lowes Food on the mainland.
- Lowes Hardware is at US17 and NC130, Home Depot is across from Wal-Mart.
- Fishing - There is a nice fishing supply store on NC 179/904, near the ice
cream place (see below).
- Gifts/Knick Knacks - Callahan's - BIG building in Calabash. has
EVERYTHING you need . . . and don't need!
- Myrtle Beach - lots of shopping, outlet centers, Target, etc..
Dining (This may be a bit out of date - the restaurants seem to change hands
- Ice Cream - There is a place on NC 179/904 west of Causeway Dr. - I forget the name
of the store - but it has a
big pink ice cream cone sign in front. Our favorite for ice cream.
- The Isles (910-575-5988) is a new restaurant right across the street from Island Park
cottages, a 3 minute walk from the house. It is rather up-scale
(Lunches $7.50, dinners $20). It is a close favorite when the ladies
go for the weekend.
- Sharky's (910-579-9177) - on the island, just over the bridge.
- The Giggling Mackerel (910-575-0902) is right next to Sharky's at the
- Sugar Shack (910-579-3844) They specialize in authentic Jamaican
food, while providing at atmosphere that Jimmy Buffett would be proud of. We
highly recommend the Jerk Chicken and the Ribs, you won’t go home hungry.
- Duffer’s Pub & Deli (910-579-4878) An excellent place to stop
after a round of golf or just to grab a quick lunch. We recommend any of
their sandwiches since they use only use the best deli meat: Boars Head!
- Crabby Oddwaters (910-579-6372) A favorite of my wife's. If
you are looking for crabs and cold beer, you found the right place. Bring
the entire group to Crabby’s for fresh crabs and even fresher seafood.
Located at Sunset Beach, the atmosphere is very casual and usually pretty
- Stars Waterfront Café (910-579-7838) If you are looking for good
food, and an even better view, visit Stars on Ocean Isle Beach. Ask
to sit outside and watch the sun set on the Intercoastal Waterway.
- Paradise Café (910-579-8993) This café is located near the Water Slide on Ocean Isle Beach. They are known for their salads and
sandwiches, and we recommend getting whatever the “catch of the day” is.
- Subway - want to get in and out fast! Corner of NC 179 and Causeway
- The Town of Calabash has lots of seafood restaurants. Just follow NC
179 towards South Carolina (15 minutes).
Want to know how clean these restaurants are? Check
the WRAL webpage.
To rent our beach house at Ocean Isle Beach, NC, go
to our page here.
This page maintained by James Conrad.
Copyright 1994-2012 James M. Conrad. All rights reserved.
Last updated 2012-05-28